You hate the idea of leaving your pet at home while your family goes on vacation, but you can’t find enough places that allow you to take them with the group. Well, you are in luck because Pirate’s Cove Realty is home to an incredible array of pet-friendly rentals in the Outer Banks! Our coastal paradise is home to plenty of activities that everyone can enjoy together! Keep reading to discover some of our favorites!
If you want to discover more ways to make the most of your trip to the North Carolina coast, be sure to download our complimentary Vacation Guide. It’s full of the best things to do and places to see in our area.
The Best Pet-Friendly Activities in the Outer Banks
1. Dog Friendly Beaches in OBX
One of the best pet-friendly things to do in the Outer Banks is spending a few days on a dog-friendly beach. You and your furry friend can run around on the sand (on a leash) and splash through the water together. Plus, between playing in the ocean, building sandcastles, and running around on the sand, your little ones will have plenty of opportunities to tire themselves out! The beaches in the areas listed below are dog-friendly:
Duck Beaches – Dog Regulations
- Dogs are allowed on all Duck beaches and they do not need to be on a leash, but should be under careful supervision by their owners. Beach access areas are privately owned by local HOA’s, so we only ask that you be considerate when bringing your dog(s) along to the beach!
Southern Shores Beaches
- Dogs are allowed on the beaches of the Southern Shores before 9 a.m. and after 6 p.m. from May 15 – September 15 (during the busy season). There is a year-round leash law, and dogs must be on leashes no longer than 10 feet. All pet waste must be collected immediately and deposited in appropriate containers. These rules also apply during all hours in the off-season.
Dogs on Kill Devil Hill Beaches
- Between Memorial Day and Labor Day of each year, dogs are not allowed on the public beach between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. unless being used to aid a handicapped person. At all other times, dogs are allowed on public beaches provided they are on a leash and under the control of owner or handler.
Kitty Hawk Beaches
- Dogs are allowed on the beaches here and must display a current rabies tag. Owner/handler must remove feces and possess a bag/container for waste removal at all times. From the Friday before Memorial Day until the day after Labor Day between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., dogs must be on a leash not exceeding 12 feet. Dogs may be taken off the leash only if they will not disturb other people on the beach and must be controlled by the handler, who must remain within 30 feet of the dog at all times. Leash must be with owner/handler at all times.
Manteo Beaches Dog Regulations
- Any animal off the premises of the custodian shall be restrained by a leash, cord, or chain not exceeding six feet in length, held by a person who is physically able to control the animal unless such animal is restrained by voice control.
Nags Head Beaches
- Dogs are allowed on the beach year-round as long as they are restrained by a leash not exceeding 10 feet.
2. Go for a Hike in Nags Head Woods Preserve
This beautiful outdoor area is somewhat of a hidden gem and offers some of the best hiking and walking for families bringing their pets. Here, you and your pups will discover a vast network of trails that wind through a handful of different habits. Hike from small sand dunes to the shores of Roanoke Sound and then back through the woods full of towering hickory and oak trees. You may see anything from foxes and otters to hawks and owls. Be sure to bring your camera along to snap a couple of great panoramas by the water.
3. Enjoy a Walk on Roanoke Island Festival Park
Bring the entire family with you for a fun afternoon at Roanoke Island Festival Park. You’ll find several attractions, including a representational ship from the 1585 English voyage to the island, a constructed American Indian town, and an English settlement site! There’s also a large outdoor space for concerts and events. If you’re staying in one of our pet-friendly rentals in the town of Manteo, you can walk to this great local attraction!
4. Explore Jockey’s Ridge State Park
Where can you find the largest dune system on the East Coast? The answer is Jockey’s Ridge State Park! Not only is this massive outdoor area home to some of the most unique things to do in the area, but the 360-foot boardwalk is also a fantastic pet-friendly place to explore in the Outer Banks. If you really want to have the ultimate experience here, you need to try your luck at hang gliding or sandboarding. Kitty Hawk Kites provides training and tours for beginner hang gliders, and you can pick up a permit from the park if there is availability.
5. Let Your Pups Run Free at Kitty Hawk Dog Park
Most places in the Outer Banks require leashes for dogs, but if you want to let them run free for a little while, head over to the Kitty Hawk Dog Park. It’s only about a 20-minute ride north from our gated resort community!
6. Visit the Wright Brothers National Memorial
The Wright Brothers National Memorial is one of the top attractions that also happens to be pet-friendly in the Outer Banks. This marvelous monument pays tribute to the site where Orville and Wilbur Wright’s dream of flying came true in 1903. The combination of tall sand dunes, a consistent wind speed, and the wide-open spaces of North Carolina’s Outer Banks was the perfect recipe for the Ohio natives to conduct the first successful flight. It’s a fantastic place to walk the dog (with a leash), especially on a beautiful sunny afternoon.
7. Relax With the Dogs at Your Pirate’s Cove Rental
Here at Pirate’s Cove, we have a selection of pet-friendly rentals that are perfect for families wanting to bring the entire group on vacation! You and your furry friend will love spending quality time together, whether you’re staying in our private gated community or in the town of Manteo. Check them out!
Pirate’s Cove Resort is your key to a one-of-a-kind Outer Banks adventure! We offer an extensive array of properties on Roanoke Island, including our gated community on Roanoke Sound, a collection of homes in downtown Manteo, and several condo complexes bordering the bay. There are plenty of shops, restaurants, and activities within walking distance of your property, and you’re only a 10-minute drive from the beach!
Book your stay with us today and get ready for the beach vacation of a lifetime! We look forward to welcoming you to our island oasis!